Quantcast Tees for Two: A Couple's Guide to Golf: The Pit Golf Links

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Pit Golf Links

Today it was The Pit Golf Links - when I have a chance to further research the course, I'll let you know why they named it "The Pit," as the course has a railroad theme as the undertone to a remarkably scenic and playable, yet challenging golf course. I made the mistake of wearing a black shirt on the hottest day we've seen thus far - 91 degrees at 10 a.m., so it made for a difficult round. I thought it'd be OK, since I've seen Mickelson wear black quite a bit, but he has to swing (move) much less than me, so probably stays cooler.
Amy and I were both glad that The Pit was everything the course's accolades claimed, after what we considered a disappointment in yesterday's round at The Carolina. And it never hurts when you rebound and play better, as we did today. The Pit was in much better condition, with soft fairways and greens that ran fast and true (although the greens were a bit hard, and held few shots over a short chip...perhaps the time of year is the reason for this...). Look to your right and click on the Flickr logo for photos - a picture's worth more than my paltry words.

An interesting turn of events - I am relatively good at keeping my composure after a poor shot, while Amy is still working on that old saying, "the toughest shot in the game of golf is the six inches between your ears." Today, however, I got frustrated and bent the shaft of my 5-iron after in skulled one into a marsh. I got stuck in my own head and paid for it...missed several short par putts, and got very inconsistent across the board. Anyone know a good golf club repair shop in the 15222 area?

As I write this, Amy is composing something of her own - she played well and must have been visited by a golf muse. I imagine that she played much better today because she kept her composure (friends, she beat me by a stroke today...). I didn't play well, lost my composure, my muse never showed up - deal with my boring writing today.

Well, this is very random and I just gorged myself with rib eye and king crab legs at The Lob Steer Inn - a recommendation from our friends at Golf Escapes, Inc. They have yet to let us down...we are in an upgraded suite, we haven't gotten lost once, their meal recommendations have been spot on, and I could go on. I anticipate nothing less than a great experience through the second half of this adventure.

Tomorrow, Pine Needles, where I will be certain to repeat the infamous blow up scene from "Tin Cup."

No comments: