Quantcast Tees for Two: A Couple's Guide to Golf: For All My Ladies Who Fear the Fairways

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

For All My Ladies Who Fear the Fairways

Five years ago I viewed golf as a sport that gave me and Jared time apart and one that I was not at all interested in trying – it was his hobby, not mine. I assumed he loved being with just his guy friends and I always loved the opportunity to clean the house without him getting in the way. A few years ago, though, Jared bought me a set of starter clubs thinking I would want to give it a shot. I had always been athletic as I was involved in soccer and tennis, and Jared and I never had a dull moment when we would talk sports. So, I guess he thought I might want to try this mysterious sport of golf. Well, I gave him a fake smile and a thank you as I wondered where we would store this set of clubs to collect dust. Much to my surprise, he ignited a spark in me that I never imagined.

At first I struggled. Jared was very encouraging as he pointed out that I was quickly learning the basics and seemed to be grasping the game. I still wasn’t convinced. I practiced every so often, but mostly at the driving range. The thought of a “big golf course” intimidated me and I tried my best to avoid ever having to play one.

However, I was slowly encouraged to give it a shot and I could just pick up my ball and ride along in the cart if I hated it. As time went on I really started to enjoy the game and the time I got to spend with Jared. We do have our squabbles on the course as each of us gets frustrated with the sport, but overall we are a great support for each other. Jared and I have been paired up with many men that have said, “I’ve tried to get my wife to play, but she’s not really interested.” It makes me really appreciate that Jared was willing to take the time to teach me the game and the patience to put up with my struggles on the course over the last few years.

Here we are in the Pinehurst area of North Carolina. Did I ever think I would be on a vacation that involved six rounds (maybe more) of golf? Absolutely not. Four years ago I thought a tee box was a place where you kept your tees, and here I am at a golf vacation hot spot – and playing golf to boot. A vacation for me used to be the beach and shopping, and I can honestly say I appreciate and enjoy this vacation completely.

The courses here in North Carolina are different. So far, I have enjoyed each of them, though The Carolina was my least favorite. It wasn’t as aesthetically appealing and was more difficult. Not to mention, there were a lot of bugs. Jared didn’t seem to notice, but it was as if every gnat, dragon fly and bee was drawn to me, even though I avoid perfume and hairspray when I get ready to golf.

We played The Pit today and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had a fairly good round, considering the difficulty of the course and the 90 degree heat. It was quiet and peaceful, which was nice, but it allowed me a lot of time to get inside my own head and think too much. Overall, I was able to make adjustments to have a good round. I am looking forward to the next few days and the courses that are on our agenda. I have realized that it’s important to keep an open mind. The old saying “don’t knock it until you’ve tried it,” sure fits in with my situation. I thought I hated golf, but I had never tried it. I never expected to enjoy a golf vacation, but I love it.
(hyperlinks provided by Jared)

No comments: