Quantcast Tees for Two: A Couple's Guide to Golf: Bill Weir, Starter, Quicksilver

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Bill Weir, Starter, Quicksilver

Amy and I played Quicksilver Golf Course yesterday, but before we get to the "he says, she says" review, we wanted to send a big "thank you" to Bill Weir, the starter at Quicksilver G.C.

The course was packed, and Bill Weir was - presumably under orders from the pro shop - to get as many golfers out as possible. Unexpectedly, Amy and I found ourselves paired with a couple of younger, obnoxious
guys
with bags full of gadget clubs and a cooler full of beer.

I usually don't mind being paired up, but as a relatively new golfer, Amy is a little less comfortable playing with strangers.

So, as is customary, I politely explained the situation to Bill Weir and, without so much as a groan of anxiety, he assured me he'd keep me and Amy solo.

We had to take a later tee time spot, so our intended pairing could go out with the group ahead of us, which was more than a reasonable trade for the joy of Amy and I golfing alone - and a blessing that we'll cover in the review (if you're a Tees for Two Twitter follower, then you know what that's all about).

As we waited for our turn on the tee box, we heard an older gentleman near the practice green grumbling something to the effect of "well, on a day like today, she's just going to have to deal with it!" I turned to see this man was speaking to our beloved Bill Weir.

Fearing the worst, I was shocked when I heard Bill reply, "I understand, but I gave that gentleman my word that he and his wife could go as a twosome." I haven't seen people even close to me "keep their word," but kind old Bill was doing as he'd promised.

Later, as Bill loaded the bags on to the cart, I thanked him and offered him a handsome tip - I'd assumed the disgruntled solo golfer filed a complaint with the course authorities, and wanted to help with Bill's impending need for a retirement fund. He refused the money, and smiled as he finished loading Amy's bag. Finally, after pleading with him, Bill accepted the smallest bill I had in my wallet as a token of our appreciation.

We only knew Bill for a few moments, but he seemed like the type of guy with a lifetime's worth of sage advice and witty anecdotes that would entertain us for hours. Next time we play Quicksilver, I'm going to make sure Bill is working.

No comments: