Quantcast Tees for Two: A Couple's Guide to Golf: Struggles Continue

Monday, May 25, 2009

Struggles Continue

I developed my golf game - we developed our golf games rather - based on a once or twice a week golfing frequency. Since our membership at Birdsfoot, I've started playing about 5 rounds a week and Amy's playing about three. And things are getting worse. Mechanically, it's all there. But playing "loose" - that is, not allowing a week or so for those golf muscles to tighten, is quite an adjustment. We're over swinging and, as a result, losing the groove on the down swing. And I there's not a more difficult glitch to fix than shortening that back swing, especially when everything feels so loose and fluid.

So. I think we're going to take a few days off. We've been playing a ton, which is a lot of the reason why this blog has gone rather stagnate the past few weeks.

I guess another thing worth noting is now that we are members at Birdsfoot, this blog will more than likely be less about various courses, and more about the interesting experiences Amy and I share, and the interesting people we meet when we play. Although we'll still have the occasional round to review, e.g., Pinehurst in June. And we still owe our readers the full review of Birdsfoot. That will likely come in three or four parts, since we know that course so well now.

The course management is in the process of naming all of the holes, and are asking members for suggestions. The best I've come up with is "Eggplant," which I'll explain in a later post. The short of it is that the green is shaped like an eggplant cut in half - imagine the slopes there. And when the pin is near the stem of this eggplant-shaped green, forget about it.

I'll try to pepper that with some fashion, equipment and anecdotal, unqualified pointers and lessons here and there. But do stay tuned.

I believe there's a lot more to golf than 18 holes. Amy and I could both share rousing and tragic tales of par 3s gone awry.

A great golf writer and friend, Chris Rodell (his blog is listed here as one of my favorites) once told me to look for the story that's beyond just the scorecard. Look for the people, the course history, etc. Something that will actually be surprising to a reader. I'm going to steal his philosophy, but doubtful that I'll be as crafty as he.

Until next time, keep on keeping on.

2 comments:

Chris Rodell said...

Hey, thanks for the plug! Geez, did I really say that? Sounds way too wise for me.

Happy golfing to you and Amy!

Chris

Tees for Two said...

Yeah - I remember in Virginia Beach you were asking all sorts of weird questions. And, I've read some of your pieces...very interesting angles.